Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Chicago
Wanting the most possible time in Paris (as well as the cheapest possible tickets) I booked one of the earliest Eurostar journeys out of London on Thursday, however it wasn't until the Wednesday immediately prior that I (rather luckily) realised I could not get from Aylesbury to London earlier enough for the 6:30 am departure and would therefore have to spend the night in London, thereby defeating the purpose of the cheaper tickets. So as not to waste my time and money I thought I would spend some more and go see Chicago. As usual I was operating on my own time schedule and would have been late for the show had I not run all the way up Charing Cross road in the middle of the city, though surprisingly I didn't get lost!
I had splashed out on tickets closer to the stage in the stalls, however I was to the back of the stalls in which was slightly overlapped by the dress circle which somewhat impeded the sound. Overall, the show was good and I enjoyed myself, though the stage and set were very basic and not what I was really expecting from a West End show. Even though they had cast Tina Arena in the main role; I believe that in a musical the music should surround and envelop the audience, you should almost be able to feel it, and this wasn't the case at this show, (perhaps because of the sound issues at my seat) and I was not overly impressed. In actual fact, while the West End version was definitely better executed and more technically proficient, it lacked spark and I think that the version we saw in Hamilton was just as good, perhaps a little better, certainly Barrymore was a better cast for the lawyer.